Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Color Shift

So, I was messing around with a bunch of 4" squares of fabric over the weekend, and I ended up creating a really cool piece of fiber art with them. I took 48 different squares (i.e., unique, no repeats), sewed them together, then cut them apart,and resewed them together a couple of times to form this beautiful and colorful curvy pattern. I then put a border of this gorgeous wavy green fabric around it, but I purposely made it off kilter. I then added a layer of puffy polyester backing to this assemblage, and then added another border to the whole thing. I added cotton batting and backing, and sewed flowing lines of free motion quilting using a variety of threads. The result is shown to the right. Look what can be done with 50 different fabrics! You can't see the 3D effect that the extra layer of batting adds to it in this picture, but in person, it's quite cool (if I do say so myself).



It's around 30" x 20", and the name/title that came to mind was 'Elemental Color Shift.' My daughter, a fan of 2 word names, thinks that 'Color Shift' would be better. We shall see.

No comments: