Friday, September 19, 2008

Water Works

For some reason, I gravitate towards creating pieces that have to do with water/the sea/the ocean. It's probably because I've always found water, be it a bath or hot tub or lake or stream or ocean, to be incredibly relaxing and rejuvenating. One of my goals/dreams is to live by the ocean some day. The following piece was something I created for the 2008 IQF Journal challenge. It was a juried exhibit, and unfortunately, this one didn't make the cut. However, I was happy that I got motivated enough to make it and submit it, and I didn't really expect it to be accepted, so I wasn't all that disappointed that it didn't get in. I call it 'Storm at Sea'. I did some things that were a first for me with it: Fusing some of the fabric instead of just sewing it together, hand beading some accents, and putting a funky ribbon border on it, instead of a traditional binding.

I took the next piece, 'Fabriquarium', to an open market in the Berkshires (creatively known as 'The Berkshire Open Market') a few weeks ago along with most of my other quilts, and it garnered a lot of attention. I think it stood out from the rest because of the eye catching color and the fact that the background fabric is shiny. I like the assymetrical shape and the fibers and beads that I added as embellishment.


No comments: